I have been receiving the Family Fun magazine for the last several years (Thanks GMA H.!) But I don't think I've ever cooked anything out of it. I always borrow their craft ideas and have baked a bunch of stuff but never cooked anything. Then my friend The Sneaky Mommy recently posted this recipe from the magazine. A few days later I was looking through the magazine and saw it again and thought I would give it a try. So that is what is cooking at the Kistenmacher's tonight!
I'm also part of a new bible study on Saturday mornings. It is a cooking bible study. Last week was our first week. It was fabulous. Joan our host and her daughter Lori are hosting/teaching it. I really am appreciating their willingness to serve and encourage us (and help me learn to cook:) so I'm also making this yummy bread that Joan taught us how to make. It totally takes a regular loaf of french bread and makes it fancy, and it is super easy. I will post later to let you know how the family liked it.
Sausage Ratatouille
3 to 4 links Italian sausage
4 1/2 T. olive oil
1 medium eggplant, peeled & cut into 3/4 in. dice
2 small zucchini, halved & sliced
1 medium green bell pepper, halved, seeded, & sliced
2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
2 c. canned diced tomatoes
1 T. plus 1 tsp. tomato paste
Salt and pepper
2 T. chopped fresh Italian parsley
3 T. chopped fresh basil
Bring a medium-size pot of water to a boil. Puncture the sausage links in several places, then cook them at a low boil until they're no longer pink in the center, about 14 minutes. Transfer links to a plate to cool, then slice them into 1/4 inch-thick rounds.
Over medium-high heat, warm 3 T. of the olive oil in a large deep skillet. Add the eggplant and zucchini and saute them, stirring often, until they are lightly browned but not soft, about 7 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a plate.
In the same skillet over medium heat, warm the remaining olive oil. Add the onion and bell pepper and saute them for 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and sliced sausage and saute, stirring often, for 3 minutes more.
Stir in the tomatoes, eggplant, and zucchini.
Partially cover the skillet and gently simmer the ratatouille for 5 minutes.
Add the tomato paste, along with the salt and pepper to taste, and simmer 5 minutes more.
Stir in the parsley and half of the basil. Serve hot, sprinkled with the remaining basil.
Toasted Celery Bread
1/2 c. butter
1/4 tsp. salt
dash cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1 loaf on bread, unsliced
Soften butter(but don't melt-you still want to be able to spread it) blend in remaining ingredients, except bread.
Cut loaf down the middle lengthwise almost through to the bottom. Cut at 2" intervals crosswise almost through to the bottom.
spread butter mixture over entire surface except bottom and into all cuts.
Place on cookie sheet or in shallow baking pan. Bake at 350* about 20 min. or until golden brown. Serve hot in loaf form or break apart.
1 comment:
Did they like it? I loved it and everyone else ate their "favorites" out..I had a lot of eggplant leftovers! The celery bread looks good. I'll have to try that!
Post a Comment