Saturday, September 10, 2011

Pinterest is AWESOME!

I don't know who invented pinterest, but it.is.awesome! I needed something to make the kids for breakfast this morning and had a limit selection of ingredients. I possibly procrastinate about going grocery shopping. I searched pinterest and came up with 1,000,000,000,000 (maybe a slight exaggeration) different recipes. I settled on this one since I only had to substitute half a few items.
It looks delicious and the batter tastes wonderful! So we will see what the kids think when it comes out of the oven!



Picture from pinterest which linked to this blog.

Buttermilk-Blueberry Breakfast Cake

Serves 6-8

½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature (I only had shortening, and butter flavoring)
2 tsp.lemon zest or more—zest from 1 large lemon (I used a little lemon juice)
7/8 cup+1T.sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups fresh blueberries (I only had a frozen mixed berry mixture, that the kids usually eat with yogurt)
½ cup buttermilk (I used 1 tbsp white wine vinegar and milk)

1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cream butter with lemon zest and 7/8 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.

2. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.

3. Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.

4. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or something similar) with butter or coat with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes. (Note: Baking for as long as 10 minutes more might be necessary.) Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.

*******UPDATE!!!!! Even though it didn't look exactly like the picture (I missed the "fold berries in" and mixed them in with the beater) it got 8 thumbs up from my peeps (daddy wasn't home to vote)! They loved it and want it again for sure!*******



4 comments:

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Welcome to the "I never have the correct ingredients" club! Cody's sister always asks what the recipe was and then what I actually used. I need a grocery store in my backyard!
I've had that cake pinned for awhile! Glad it was good! I need to try it!
Pinterest is totally addicting! I love to look for cool ideas and see what ideas my friends are pinning. It's the perfect way to pass time while feeding Maddox!

Christina said...

Yummmy! Did you save me some?! ;D

Jenn said...

looks delicious. I will be looking forward to some tomorrow morning.

Julie said...

Sneaky Mommy-I think we are gourmet chefs and just had to tweak to our families exact tastes:)

Christina and Jenn- If you don't mind splitting a few crumbs that are left..... The kids pretty much had a steady stream of walking past the cake plate, breaking pieces off until it was gone! :)