Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veteran's Day




I'm embarrassed to say that I've know there was a day for it but never really was affected by it. I mean we didn't get the day off of school or anything. We don't have any loved ones who are in the military or are Veterans that I know of, so it is easy to just not think about.

This morning though I decided to at least pray with my kids before they get on the bus. For safety for our military. Also to thank God (literally) that we live in a free country and for all of those men and women who have/are currently serving our country, and for the family of the ones who have given there life, to keep us free (something I, for sure, take for granted). As well as for the families who are also sacrificing everyday, children without a parent, husbands or wives without there spouse.

I want my kids to be aware. Chances are they will come in contact with someone who does have a loved one serving. I want them to be sensitive and also to really appreciate the freedom that we have.

Do you do anything special for Veteran's Day?

1 comment:

The Sneaky Mommy said...

I love this idea, Julie!!!! We've never done anything special, but with some of our kids' friends' dads deployed right now, they are asking a lot of questions and wanting to pray a lot for safety. We're going to do something special for these dads at church soon!