Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Pesto, Olives & Tomato Grilled Cheese

Yum! I haven't made this yet but Panera sells something similar for lots of money.....so when I ran across this I wanted to take note and see if I can duplicate!

Ingredients

2 slices Ciabatta/Bread


1 Tablespoon Pesto

1 Tablespoon Olives, Chopped

2 slices Tomato

5 slices Fontina Cheese

Preparation Instructions

Plug in/turn on your indoor grill or panini press.


Slice the ciabatta (or your favorite bread) into approximately 1/2-inch slices. Spread the pesto (make your own or use your favorite prepared pesto) all over one slice of the bread.

Chop up the olives (or buy them already chopped) and scatter them over the pesto. Lay the tomatoes on top of the olives and finish up the sandwich by placing the cheese over the tomatoes and top with the remaining slices of bread.

Spritz one side of the sandwich with olive oil spray, flip carefully and repeat. Place the sandwich on the grill/press and let the magic happen. Allow to cook until the bread gets all crispy and brown and the cheese is gooey. Flip and repeat if not using a panini press.

Pesto recipe

Ingredients:


1/4 cup shelled, salted pumpkin/pepita seeds (roasted or unroasted)

1 Tablespoon grated Parmesan

1 clove garlic, roughly chopped

1/4 cup fresh basil, loosely packed

1/2 cup fresh parsley, loosley packed

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil



Combine the seeds, Parmesan and garlic in a food processor (I used a mini-processor) and pulse until seeds are finely ground. Add the basil and parsley and pulse. Pour the olive oil into the top of the processor and pulse every few seconds until well incorporated. If your processor does not have a small hole in the top, simply add a bit of the olive oil, pulse and repeat.

No comments: